Thursday, April 5, 2007

euh, how do you say....?

yesterday was awful. but so awful that it almost might be funny. i stress "almost might be". now that i have slept for long luxurious hours and have communicated this story to lisa over gmail, i am ok with typing it out for the cyber-world to see.

i'm still feeling kind of nauseous about my mom reading it, but whatever. i was just channeling my dad..... ya, that 's it. (maybe now she won't crucify me.) (ooh, i like my use of crucify especially since it's easter weekend.)

anyhoo, yesterday sucked for the following reasons: (my mom will crucify me for using "sucked", so mom, i really mean "stank".... better? but really, it suuuuucked.)

i gave myself adequate time to go to the drycleaner and get my pants to go with my blazer in the morning and then drive to the ferry. but then i didn't have adequate $ in my bank account so i had to drive to the bank, cash cheques, come back and pick up the pants and by then it was late. really late. and i suddenly got really panicky that i might miss the 11 AM ferry which would get me there early for a 3 PM award ceremony, whose award was sitting in my car.

so i burned rubber to get to the ferry terminal and was 5 cars away from getting on the 11 AM ferry. 5 cars. when i peeled in, the woman was saying that "it didn't look good for the 11 so was the 1 okay?" i asked her if that was a rhetorical question since it wasn't okay, but i didn't really have a choice, followed by some hysterical laughter. then i realized that i didn't have anyone's cell phone number to call to tell them that i would be a little late but that i had the sculpture.

so i waited in the boring ferry terminal for 2 hours, got on the 1 pm ferry, met up thankfully with another woman i knew who was heading to the awards ceremony on the ferry, told her my predicament and told her to tell the others if she got there before me. which she did.

so i peeled into the awards ceremony at 3:20 PM, just in time to pass off the stupid sculpture to the LIEUTENANT GOVERNOR OF BC to give to the award recipient at GOVERNMENT HOUSE.

i felt like such an asshole and wanted to die.

but then i ate a lot of free cookies and people were very compassionate and i drank tea and wiped my mouth with free government house napkins (of which i took quite a few for my very official living room). i also want to mention that not only was the lieutenant governor in the room, but high-ranking BC labour people like Jim Sinclair, a couple of MLAs and government folk like Joy MacPhail, city councillors and an ex-premier even, Dave Barrett. thank god i am younger and they have no idea who i am. seriously. and they were too busy schmoozing with each other to really care.

(it was gross, i have to say - all the white men in charge of the labour movement. it was really obvious and really weird, especially at an award ceremony for women's rights.)

my day got progressively better when colleagues asked me to join them for dinner, but after 40 minutes of driving around looking for the freaking restaurant and not finding it, i had to book it to the ferry to make sure i could get on the next one home which is the only place i wanted to be.

[i think i might have a sensory problem or something since apparently i was at the intersection and drove around it a gazillion times but didn't see the restaurant (you can't miss it! they said... um, yes - yes, you can.)]

so essentially i spent about 6 hours travelling to drop off a sculpture, eat cookies and drive around for 2.5 hours. yeesh.

i came home, went for a walk and then had a really hot bath and then went to bed. i feel a lot better today since i have short term memory problems and already have kind of blocked it out.

(happy birthday, lisa! - now she's old like me)

1 comment:

jenn said...

You know, I hate it when people say "oh you can't miss it" - that is just too lame. Yes, yes you can miss it. And I do, regularly. I suck ass at finding places.

Yay for hot bath!