Monday, July 30, 2007

l-i-g-h-t

i went to fireworks on saturday night.

why do people drive all the way from the burbs to watch a half hour light show???? (that being said, it was really good...)
and why are people such jerks after they drive all the way in, get shitfaced and then watch the fireworks?
at first i was thinking that they should hold municipal elections at the same time as the fireworks because voter turnout would be huge, but then i realized that they're all jerks and for a moment, i was all for limiting democracy to the sober few.

but the firework show itself was great. i was beside a dad with a kid around his ears, slurping on a giant rocket popsicle, who kept saying "cool!" and made the half hour much more enjoyable. oh, and there were hot cops out too. for once i was all for excessive cop presence.

but another fireworks related thing - i like fireworks for the sheer evanescence of it all. they don't stick around - you're there or you're not - the sounds reverberate throughout the entire city, but a picture is never enough. you have to be there for the people, the sounds, the art. and it's lovely, and i realized, kind of sad. cuz that's all there is. the fireworks, the big bang, the ooooohs, the aaaahs, the clapping and then it's over. which is kind of a bummer in its specialness. it's kind of the same feeling i get on starry nights. they're so beautiful, and you feel so small, but so much part of the universe, so you feel special and bummed at the same time.

my mom comes out and visits tomorrow and i'm a little nervous - mostly because last time she visited, i was living with a bigger jerk than all of the fireworks jerks (ooh it rhymes!) combined. we're going to have fun and drive around and go to the island and then to my cousin's wedding. i bought a very pretty dress yesterday and i am very stoked to wear it and feel girlish. it should be fun. i'll try to do a mar and jess post while my mom's here just to introduce her to the technology.

ok - off to call my mom (whoops) and then out for a walk on the seawall with some dinner to go. oh, and i rode my bike yesterday which makes me happy and i rented "annie hall" which makes me even happier. lines like "i haven't been the same since i quit smoking" "when did you quit?" "14 years ago". AWESOME. i love woody allen. i know he's a perv, but he's a smart perv and something about the smart woman, neurotic guy thing reminds me of my parents a little. it helps that my dad bears a striking resemblance to the younger woody allen and that i think my mom is just as fabulous, if not more, than diane keaton. (although my mom does not say "la dee da".) and my parents would both totally wear these outfits. actually, the tennis scene where annie plays in a shirt with an upturned collar and alvie plays in his tennis whites could be a fictional rendition of my parents' style. so here are my fictional mom and dad - except my mom doesn't move to california and my dad is not in psychoanalysis or married to his adopted daughter (blech!).



do it for the eggs.

No comments: